Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sweeney Todd


When I think about the many Broadway shows I have seen that knocked me out, three come to mind right away: Wicked, Phantom, and Sweeney Todd.

I guess you could say I am a "big fan" of the Stephen Sondheim show Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. I saw the original with Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury, and then the revival with Michael Ceveris and Patti Lupone. Both productions were wonderfully done, though I prefer the original.

When film director Tim Burton did his cinematic take on the story, with stars Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, I was pleased with the bloody result (except for the omission of "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" and the chorus which drives the show to its horrifying finale).

So, you can imagine my joy when my son Dave, a junior at Rutgers, landed the part of Anthony (played by Victor Garber in the original) in the Livingston Theater Company's production. They are doing a bloody wonderful job that would make Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury proud. I'll be attending the final show today at 2 p.m.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, Feb 28, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment