Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo


I just finished reading the book The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by the late Steig Larsson. It's a cliche to say that I could not put the book down, but guess what? I could hardly put it down, and when I had to, I could not get it out of my mind. That, to me, is the hallmark of a great book. One that creates believable and palpable characters and relationships, and a world so fully realized that you enter it and enjoy the stay.

"The Girl" is Lisbeth Salander, a fascinating character, an angry anti-social hacker somewhat similar to Chloe O'Brien from TV's 24, but way more socially estranged than Chloe ever was. But like Chloe who is loyally attached to Jack Bauer, Salander gradually becomes attached to her investigative counterpart Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist. Together they find themselves researching a decades-old disappearance that might be a murder, uncovering some old sins (such as Nazism) and some hidden ones (such as abuse of women) along the way.

I've read that the next two books in the trilogy continue to develop the story. And I look forward to reading both books.

No, I have not yet seen the movie version that came out last year from Sweden. (That is actress Noomi Rapace as Salander, in the photo.) But I hope to catch it soon.

I've read that an English-language remake is being planned and a search is on for the actress to play Lisbeth Salander. Names such as Keira Knightley, Carey Mulligan, Kristen Stewart, and Scarlett Johansson are being mentioned. Who would I cast?

I think I would go with an unknown. An actress like Sarah Clarke, the one from the first season of 24 who played Jack Bauer's nemesis Nina Myers. Someone with that lean and scary look.

How about Noomi Rapace?

Posted by Terrence Seamon, May 12, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment